In order to make Fontographer 5.2.1 to run correctly on Windows 8.1, you need to make a little change in the app's properties. Note: this needs to be done only once.
- In the Windows 8.1 start screen, type fontographer to reveal the search results.
- Right-click the entry Fontographer 5.
- Click Open file location.
- Right-click the Fontographer 5 program icon in the Explorer
- Click Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab
- Enable Run this program in compatibility mode for.
- From the dropdown list below choose Windows XP (Service Pack 3).
- Click OK.
- From now on, you should be able to work without problems with Fontographer.
See the short videos illustrating the steps: