Effective 24 May 2018
FontLab Ltd. Inc. (“FontLab,” “us,” “we,” or “our”) takes the privacy and protection of personal information seriously.
FontLab sells software licenses and related physical materials (the “Products”), and provides related information. We also operate fontlab.com websites (the “Service” or “Services”), including our store, forum, help, support, blog, old, www, and any other websites ending in “fontlab.com.” By using the Service & Products, you agree to the collection and use of information in accordance with this policy.
Personal Data / Personal Information: Means data about a living individual who can be identified from those data (or from those combined with other information either in our possession or likely to come into our possession).
Usage Data: Data collected automatically either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
Data Subject (or User): any living individual who is using our Service and is the subject of Personal Data.
Information Collection & Use
We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our Products and Services to you:
- Personal Data / Information
- Fonts & Crash Reports
- Usage Data
Each of these is described further below.
Personal Data / Information
While using our Service, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Data”). Such personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address
- First name and last name
- Telephone number
- Address, State/Province, ZIP/Postal code, City
- Fonts (see below)
- Crash reports (see below)
We may use your Personal Information and other information you give us to:
- enable you to license (“purchase”) our Products
- respond to your requests for technical support, sales, information and other assistance;
- improve the functioning, features, and performance of our Products and Services;
- enable third parties to perform business functions on our behalf, including financial transactions
- Contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving such communications from us by following the unsubscribe link or instructions provided in list-based email we send.
We may also create Anonymous Information from your Personal Information, by omitting data that makes your information personally identifiable.
We do not collect “special categories” of data that qualify for additional protections under Article 9 and 10 of the European General Data Protection Regulation. While we cannot prevent users from sharing such information, whether privately with us, or in public (forum posts, blog comments, etc.), we neither solicit nor aggregate such information.
We may also collect information how the Service is accessed and used (“Usage Data”). This Usage Data may include information such as your computer's Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Crash Reports & Fonts
We recognize that fonts may be protected by copyright, trademark, and design rights (including US Design Patents and EU Community design rights). You should be aware of this as well, if you intend to modify third-party fonts using software licensed to you by FontLab.
A “crash” occurs when a program or your computer itself stops operating suddenly and unexpectedly. A crash report is a text file or screen of text created either automatically or on request by your computer in the event of a crash. To give you technical support and/or to address bugs in our Products and Services, we may ask you to provide a crash report.
The crash report includes detailed technical information about your computer, computer peripherals, operating system, and other programs and utilities resident at the time of the crash. It also contains detailed technical information about the operation of programs at the time of the crash.
To give you technical support and/or to address bugs in our Products and Services, we may ask you to provide: digital fonts that you are using with our Products and/or Services; and/or crash reports on crashes that occurred while using our Products and/or Services; and/or other information about your computer environment or your font creation process, to us. Fonts, crash reports and other information provided to us for such purposes will only be used for those purposes; we will not redistribute them to persons other than our staff (including our contractors), nor use them for any other purposes, without explicit permission to do so.
In some cases, if a problem involves third-party software (including but not limited to third-party operating systems and third-party libraries used in our Products), we may additionally ask your permission to share your font and/or crash report and/or other information with a third party. We will only share these things with third parties with your permission.
We expect that you will only provide us with fonts if you have the legal right to do so, either by ownership, appropriate license, or other explicit permission of the rights-holder. Further, you will only give us permission to share a font with a third party if you have the right to grant such permission.
Fonts and other information provided to us for such purposes will only be used for those purposes; we will not redistribute them to persons other than our staff (including our contractors), nor use them for any other purposes, without explicit permission to do so.
Our Use of Data
FontLab uses collected data to:
- provide and maintain our Products and Services
- notify you about changes to our Products and Services
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Products and Services, when you choose to do so
- provide customer support to you
- gather information so that we can improve our Products and Services
- monitor the usage of our Services
- detect, prevent and address technical issues in our Products and Services
- provide you with news, upgrade offers, special offers and general information about goods, services and events similar or related to those that you have already purchased or enquired about, unless you have opted not to receive such information
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data Under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
We may process your Personal Data because:
- We need to perform a contract with you
- You have given us permission to do so
- The processing is in our legitimate interests and it’s not overridden by your rights
- For payment processing purposes
- To comply with the law
Retention of Data
We will retain and use your Personal Data to the extent necessary:
- to maintain records of current software licensees for our Products. This is required to determine your entitlement to free technical support, to provide you with your serial number(s) in the event that you lose or misplace yours, to determine your eligibility for discounts on upgrades/crossgrades, and other common software licensing needs.
- to comply with our legal obligations (for example, if we are required to retain your data to comply with applicable laws)
- to resolve disputes
- and to enforce our legal agreements and policies
We also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our Service, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods.
Transfer of Data
Your information, including Personal Data, may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction, where the data protection laws may differ than those of your jurisdiction.
If you are located outside Panama and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer some data, including Personal Data, to Panama and process it there.
Disclosure of Data
Disclosure for/to Law Enforcement
Under certain circumstances, we may be required to disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court or a government agency).
Other Legal Needs
FontLab Ltd., Inc. may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- comply with a legal obligation
- protect and defend the rights or property of FontLab Ltd., Inc.
- prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
- protect against legal liability
Security of Data
The security of your data is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
“Do Not Track” Signals
Our Services do not currently support Do Not Track. This is a preference you can set in your web browser to inform websites that you do not want to be tracked.
Your Data Protection Rights Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you have certain data protection rights. If you reside elsewhere, FontLab will still treat you as if you have the same rights. We aim to take reasonable steps to allow you to correct, amend, delete, or limit the use of your Personal Data.
In certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
- The right of rectification. You have the right to have your information corrected, if that information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to object. You have the right to object to our processing of your Personal Data.
- The right of restriction. You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information.
- The right to data portability. You have the right to be provided with a copy of the information we have on you in a structured, machine-readable and commonly used format.
- The right to withdraw consent. You also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time where we relied on your consent to process your personal information.
Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about our collection and use of your Personal Data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the EEA.
Service Providers & Third-Party Sites
We employ third party companies and individuals (“Service Providers”) to facilitate our Service & Products, to provide Services on our behalf, to perform Service- or Product-related services, and/or to assist us in analyzing how our Service and/or Products are used.
These third parties have access to your Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf, and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
We may use third-party Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service.
Web site analytics: Google Analytics. We make some use of Google Analytics on portions of our Service. Google Analytics is a web analytics service, offered by Google, that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Service. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
For more information on Google’s privacy practices, visit the Google Privacy Terms web page.
Some of our Products and/or Services require payment. In such cases, we use third-party services for payment processing and sometimes store services (e.g. payment processors).
The payment processors we work with are:
- Forums: forum.fontlab.com. We operate forums (https://forum.fontlab.com) for users of our software. Your posts on these forums are publicly viewable.
Links to Other Sites
We have no control over, and assume no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 18 (“Child” or “Children”).
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are or become aware that your Child/Children have provided us with Personal Data, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from Children without verification of parental consent, we will take steps to remove that information from our servers, or update it to instead reference appropriate parents (with their consent).